If climbing is in your blood, if you believe climbing enriches people lives and makes them better individuals, if sharing your knowledge and passion for climbing with others brings you spiritual enlightenment - then we’d love to hear from you!
Our Climbing Instructors live, eat and breath climbing. To them climbing is not just an activity but a way of life and they strive to share their passion for climbing with others. To join them climbing must be in your blood.
You will be responsible for running courses including taster sessions, inductions, clubs courses, National award sessions, groups, workshops and parties. In return you will be part of a bright energetic team who’s goal is to enrich the lives of the people they meet through climbing.
Specific duties will include:
- Compliance with the British Mountaineering Council (BMC) standards and guidelines relating to indoor climbing walls.
- Compliance with any site specific training, awards and qualifications gained through NGB (Mountain Training) recognised courses.
- Compliance at all times with health and safety policies/procedures.
- Ensuring adherence to all Rockstar operational and safety procedures at all times.
- Compliance, at all times, with Rockstar’s data protection policies and procedures.
- Representing the company in a manner that reflects our philosophy at all times.
- Delivery of sessions to a consistent and very high standard.
- Delivery of accredited sessions and courses such as NICAS and ultimately NIBAS
- Coordination and running of parties from arrival to leaving.
- Promoting the growth of Rockstar Climbing, encouraging repeat bookings through your enthusiastic and professional attitude.
- Running of outdoor climbing sessions during summer months.
- Running our customer service areas including the reception, café and shop areas when necessary.
- Handling cash and cashing up.
- Reporting to management on a routine basis and being proactive about discussing improvements and innovation where it may be needed.
- Ensuring the centre stays clean, tidy and presentable at all times.
- Assisting with equipment checks and other facility checks.
General duties will include:
- Ensuring that all customers comply with company policies and procedures relating to health and safety, fire safety, first aid and risk assessments at all times.
- Maintaining security of all personal information and ensuring confidentiality in accordance with the Data Protection Act and our company policies.
- Maintaining all company property and the premises as a whole to our high standards.
- Familiarising yourself with, and applying, our Staff Handbook.
- Conducting yourself in a manner that demonstrates awareness of equality and disability issues.
- Dealing with customer comments, suggestions and complaints.
This job description provides a summary of duties and is not intended to be an exhaustive list. Duties are likely to change to reflect developments within the company. We will expect the successful applicant to be flexible when it comes to duties and tasks.
Experience and Qualifications
- The successful applicant will be self-motivated and will ideally have the following:
- Extensive personal climbing experience is essential. Outdoor climbing experience would be an advantage especially with an accompanying logbook.
- CWA or SPA required as a minimum.
- CWLA desirable.
- Broad knowledge of climbing techniques and movement skills, ideally beyond the SPA syllabus.
- Knowledge of safe training techniques for campus/fingerboards/etc.
- Valid First Aid required and certificate of proof.
- Knowledge of NICAS essential, NIBAS desirable.
- Experience of working in a busy customer focused role with both adults and children.
- Experience of working at climbing walls is an advantage.
- Solid I.T and computer skills.
- Experience of equipment safety checking desirable but not essential.
- Experience working with hard to reach youngsters and special needs groups an advantage.
- Experience of cash handling advantageous.
- An ability to multi-task, to keep calm under pressure, to be adaptable and with good people skills along with good time management is essential.
- Experience in route setting desirable but not essential.
The successful applicant must be flexible to work on a rota basis including day time, evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays as required.
If you believe you are right for this position and would like to apply please follow these important steps:
- Download our Rockstar Job Application Form
- Either print the form and complete by pen, or if you have relevant software on your computer you can complete the form electronically.
- Once completed either email your application form to [email protected] or physically drop your form into the centre ensuring your application form is sealed in an envelope.
Please note you must include a minimum of two referees who we can contact before interview. Referees cannot be immediate family and ideally at least one referee will know you in a personal capacity and one will know you in a professional capacity.